Re: Attacking Domain Keys

2004-11-26 08:16:31

On Nov 26, 2004, at 10:10 AM, James Couzens wrote:

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 09:32 -0500, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
DomainKeys verifications are pretty cheap -- 4ms or so with no hardware
acceleration and much faster with acceleration.  Anyone who is large
enough to have this matter either has a horizontally scalable system
that would be negligibly impacted by DK (think Yahoo and gmail) or have
a tight veritcal system that they can buy very inexpensive crypto
acceleration units for.  Anyone who isn't huge, this simply doesnt
matter... why? Because my MTA can verfiy DK faster than my network pipe
can handle anyway.

So err, whats the point of DK then?

It's an authentication system - like SPF is. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the sender, just like SPF doesn't. And it isn't designed to be a computational penalty. Look at hashcash, penny black or something of that ilk if you want to purposefully incorporate computational cost into SMTP.

Back to one of David's point: the math clearly shows that doing DK
_before_ something like spam assassin make perfect sense as it less
expensive computationally by several orders of magnitude.

Several orders of magnitude?  Thats quite a bit and doesn't reflect the
data that I've seen in working with SA.  SA also affords me intelligent
classification of email.  Remember even with DK, people can still SPAM!
So no one will be removing SA from their networks anytime soon and not
likely in the future either.  So really, whats the value of DK again?

You need to go back and do your math again. Even from a purely computational standpoint, the standard SA classification ruleset is a couple hundred times slower that DK verification. The SpamAssassin guys themselves will tell you this - it's not a high-performance solution.

As noted above, even with SPF people will still spam. They are authentication solutions. Authentication solutions only tell you that a sender is or isn't who they claim to be. Out of the box they at best prevent fraudulent senders. To do anything more ambitious than that they both require coupling with an authorization technology that says 'I know for certain who you are. Now do I want mail from you?'

George