Re: domain name labels are limited to 63 characters

2004-11-26 16:21:48
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 04:30:00PM +0100, Roger Moser wrote:

| Or should it truncate the label to 63 characters? If yes, on the left or on
| the right side?

I think it should truncate the label, removing text on the
right side within the label.

I think so because within labels, the most significant data
tends to be on the lhs.

1. The correct solution to this is extension to ESMTP that will allow mail
servers to advertise that they will accept long name in mail-from

2. I have not seen any evidence presented that will show that data on the
lhs is more significant then on the rhs

3. Simply truncating on arbitrary symbol be is bad. If we want to have
option to trancate it should be in a way that will allow to completely
remove certain part of the label that goes together, i.e. if signature
was added, then its entire signature that should be removed (leaving
only original email), if SRS was added, then complete part of srs
should be removed (decision would need to be made if part being removed
is the srs rewritting leaving original local part in or removal of
original local part leaving on address from the forwarding server).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks