Re: domain name labels are limited to 63 characters

2004-11-27 01:18:00
William wrote:

1. The correct solution to this is extension to ESMTP that will allow mail
servers to advertise that they will accept long name in mail-from

I did not meant the local part (the part on the left side of the "@").
The length of the local part is not technically limited.

But the length of the domain name labels is technically limited to 63
characters because in DNS packets the length field is only 6 bits.

3. Simply truncating on arbitrary symbol be is bad.

I agree. If the local part contains a signature and the site publishes
"v=spf1 exists:%{l}._ses.%{o} -all", then of course you must not strip off
the signature from the local part when expanding the "%{l}" macro.

I agree with Wayne who wrote:
I think it should be treated the same way that NXDOMAIN is treated.

So if a site publishes a <domain-spec>, then they must make sure that the
expanded <domain-spec> never contains a label longer than 63 characters.

Roger