Re: Re: Proposed policy on Forwarding

2004-11-27 02:57:54
On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 22:13, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Andy Bakun wrote:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200411/1186.html

What's that ETRN feature, is it somehow related to RfC 2645
and ODMR ?  I'm just curious, most big mail providers in my
country offer to "POP3" my mail automatically from elsewhere,
if I'd want this.

ETRN and ATRN are, it seems, both essentially the same thing, and are
all ODMR.  ETRN is documented in RFC 1985.

ATRN and ETRN operate at the domain level, but I suppose operating at
the lhs is also a possibility -- but then you might as well just use
POP3, because the address/lhs that ends up being forwarded is really an
endpoint, and not just a waypoint between MTAs, which appears to be the
purpose of both ATRN and ETRN.  Although I'm not exactly sure of the big
difference between ATRN and ETRN, other than the authentication method,
the port number and how it's invoked.  POP3 is most likely a better
option if you were going to implement trusted, traceable forwarding in
the future, it's more widely understood.

Andy.