Re: Re: Proposed policy on Forwarding

2004-11-25 03:26:27
"Frank Ellermann" commented:

Chris Haynes wrote:

SPF should not otherwise concern itself with the problems of
forwarding.

I'd still like a better answer for Hannah, and for Meng's idea
(local whitelist + SPF HELO PASS = bypass SPF) a separate text
defining best common practice maybe using an SPF modifier could
make sense.  It's our job, Meng can't promote his idea, because
it's incompatible with "Sender ID".

I was too terse.

What I really intended to say was that the SPF protocol itself should not (need
to?) concern itself with forwarding.

Of course it is in the communities interests to be extremely helpful and
informative to people trying to solve their forwarding problems, both
individually and via BCPs.

Perhaps, in my attempt to give a robust, terse, unambiguous expression of what I
believe the SMTP architecture _requires_ in this situation, the tone of my
proposal is a bit 'Stalinist'.

( .. and I don't seriously expect the description of SRS as an 'abomination' to
pass through into an approved policy ;-))

Another point after further reflection (and it hurts me to point this out): I
suggested that forwarders could use an SRS-like scheme to encode the address to
which problem notifications could be sent, and I suggested that the 2822 Sender
is the address that should be thus used.  When you work this through in detail
you realize that its the PRA algorithm you need to work out the correct address
to reply to. So we might start hearing that forwarders are signing M$ contracts
in order to build SPF-compatible forwarding :-((