RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-23 09:38:48
On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 11:26 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
You are convinced beyond any possibility of reconsideration that the
forwarding problem is a deal breaker for SPF.  You are welcome to your
opinion.  I don't think anyone is confused at all about your opinion.

Like I said, it's not so much that you want to force the world to
'upgrade'. It's that you want to force the world to upgrade without
actually _needing_ to. CSV does everything that SPF does, without the
breakage. What do you have against CSV?

I said that forwarding is a problem for the receiver because it's the
receiver that establishes the forwarding relationship.

But it's not. It's the _forwarder_ that establishes the forwarding
relationship. I may go on holiday for a week or two and I may add a rule
to my Exim filter file which forwards mailing list moderation requests
to somebody whom I have 'volunteered' for the task in my absence. That
isn't even established by the recipient, let alone anyone at the
recipient's ISP who is involved with the decision as to whether to check
SPF.

I understand it's difficult for the ultimate destination to know of _all_
forwarding relationships.  It is, in fact, impossible for the sender to
know.  It is incumbent on receivers to not kill their customers e-mail (or
accept that they will lose a certain fraction of their customer base).  When
implementing SPF on the receive side, one ought to not be stupid about it.

Indeed. That's presumably why you've seen so few rejects -- there aren't
that many sites of any reasonable size who are careless enough to
actually reject.

You didn't answer the question about how many bounces you still get to
mail you didn't send. You're offering only half the statistics.

 Every transition has some pain and you need to take time to work
through the corner cases.

Now, I think all this is reasonable and doable.  You are no doubt already
composing your response to explain how this proves once again that SPF is
broken.  Don't bother.

No, I'm composing a response to ask, yet again, why you think this
breakage is preferable to the other schemes which don't have such
problems. What's wrong with CSV? What's wrong with the other schemes I
spoke of recently?

It's not breakage I object to per se -- sometimes you have to break
things. It's the _pointless_ breakage which bemuses me.

 There really isn't anything you can say that you
haven't said several times already.

Like "what is wrong with the alternatives which do _not_ have the same
problem", perchance? Nobody really seems interested in answering that.

--
dwmw2