Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-23 09:43:21
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:23:40PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

But that isn't really the point. Lots of people do this because it's the
simplest way to do it. You forward all the random accounts all over the
place to one permanent address, then forward _that_ address to wherever
you want your mail to go at the time. Not _everyone_ controls any
machine in the sequence like I do; few do in fact.

When you need to speak your neighbour, do you still walk over to the
backdoor, open it, step into their room and start talking?  Or do you
need to use the door bell and wait until they open it?

I ask this because the first method was the way people did it, just
because it is the simplest way to do it, and most people didn't care.

However, this was abused on a large scale. Unlocked doors became a
security risk.  Yes, not only people sneaking in are locked out, the
friendly neighbour is locked out as well.  There are several alternatives
thinkable for the neighbour if he really needs access.  Open door policy
however is going away.

The world is changing.  You need to change with it.

Alex