Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-24 02:20:07
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:17:46AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 23:54 +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
If you forward email to $somewhere, I do not wish to receive bounces
from $somewhere. I may not be able to communicate with $somewhere,
I have to business with $somewhere.  And I am not going to change my

s/to/no/

mind just because you forward your mail.

Your right. Just as it is your right to cut yourself off from all
communication if you so desire and to wear your underpants on your head.

What I object to is the disingenuous SPF wizard which encourages others
to make the same decision, without warning them that they'll be throwing
away valid mail if they do. Perhaps it _is_ your right to deceive the

a) You saying it's "valid mail" does not make it valid mail.
b) I do not deceive people.  I tell people what spf does and does not do.
   I have nothing to do with the wizzard so don't say that I deceive anyone.

Only yesterday I found someone who'd installed an SPF record after
looking at the SPF wizard, and without really thinking about it for
themselves. After I got them to look at what SPF actually does and apply
their _own_ brain rather than just using the wizard, of course they
removed the record.

So, you've convinced people that cannot think for themselves.  Hurray.

Then they made a comment along the lines of "we just need email to be
signed by the outgoing mail servers, and the signatures checked by the
recipient". Which is of course true -- so I pointed them at DK and IIM.

And because they cannot think for themselves, I have to implement DK?

The alternative is to place a guard next to the backdoor and shoot
to kill.  I prefer the locks.  That means I can no longer just enter
my neighbours house, so be it.  It is sad but it is a reality.

I'm sorry, your analogy is lost on me. Why are DK and IIM and SES like a

I do not compare my analogy to DK, IIM, SES, FBI, CIA, TLA, USA or any
other lettersoup.  You have trimmed the relevant portion away so I suggest
you look up the earlier post that includes both parts of the analogy.

though it wasn't perfect. Can you explain in more detail why you
wouldn't prefer to use a solution which doesn't have these problems?

See, this is where you go wrong.  There's a lot I prefer.  However,
it's not going to happen so I have to live with what I can get.  See
how my analogy makes perfect sense?

When I use domain keys,  and when I send mail to you, and when this
bounces, where does the bounce come from?

Alex