RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-24 06:39:34
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Chris
Haynes
Sent: woensdag 24 november 2004 12:05
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Sendmail white paper

But David, DomainKeys does not stop forgery.

Closing open relays 'broke' the 'free for-all' ness which theretofore
existed. Hanging a padlock on your door 'breaks' the unhindered entrance
therethrough. And common is the commonplace; and vacant chaff well meant
for grain. :) Live with it.

DomainKeys breaks things just as hard. Or, David, are you going to tell
every mailing list operator around the globe that they can no longer add
their small banner to the list? Talk about needing the cooperation of the
entire world! Yeah, and they say SRS is bad. :)

It is in the very definition of stopping forgeries that you disallow
certain things which were allowed before. If you sign messages, no one
thereafter must change them; if you forward, you change relay, and must
change accordingly. Whatever you do, putting restrictions on something
means that sooner or later someone, somewhere, will have to give up doing
something which he merrily did before. If we're not willing to take that
step, then we're not willing to stop forgeries.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,