Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-24 03:42:17
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:20:41AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

This "something" maps to forwarding.  You are effectively saying that
having to use a lock on the door is bad, because it wasn't necessary for
over a hundred years so why change something that works...

No, I'd say using a lock on the door is sane. I'd equate SPF not to a
lock, but to replacing your door with sheet steel and welding it shut,
then using the windows in future. A lock would have sufficed, but you've
broken things that didn't need to be broken.

We don't agree. Case closed.

I, (A) send mail to you (B). B forwards to C.  C tries to forward to D.
Forwarding to D fails.  Who will send a bounce, and to whom?

With DomainKeys? Forwarding to D doesn't fail, because the message is
signed to prove that it came from you. Spoofing fails, but normal
operation of the Internet continues just fine.

Great tool, that domain keys.  Not only does it protect you from
forgeries, spam and virusses, it also protects you from disk problems,
application errors and human error.  Wow.

Alex