RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-23 06:33:42
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of David
Woodhouse
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 7:41 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Sendmail white paper

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 12:30 +0000, Mark wrote:
<snip>
The forwarding "problem" is as old as SPF. In practice,
however, when I do
SRS, the problem is as good as solved. Because forwarding,
via, say, a
..forward file, is rarely a multiple-hop thing.
Theoretically, yes, the
mail I forward could hit another .forward, at the receiving
machine; so it
could be an A -> B -> C -> D thing. Of course. But that
would be silly,
because a common-sense user wanting his mail forwarded,
should just use
A -> C -> D, where I am C (cutting out B). And if I, as C,
do SRS, then
things work. And, in practice, without the cooperation of the entire
world.

Actually a lot of people do the A->B->C->D thing. The host 'B' may be
one of many hosts on which a user has a mail account such as
kernel.org,
ftp.uk.linux.org, etc. The 'C' could be my infradead.org account; a
permanent address. And 'D' may be wherever I actually want my mail to
end up this week.

And you can wear your underwear on your head if you like (I love that quote  :)

Since you control the forwarding of B, just forward it to D directly bypassing
C.  If that's not
feasible (your e.g. below), then simply implement the same SES and/or SRS
solution at C that you
implemented at B.  What's the problem?

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

I wouldn't want to change all the numerous instances of host 'B' to a
different address when I change the C->D .forward file
(actually that's
a TXT record in a private DNS domain, not a .forward, but it has the
same effect). So I've always used A->B->C->D, and I know a
lot of other
people who do likewise.

--
dwmw2