RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-22 14:18:20
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of wayne
Sent: maandag 22 november 2004 21:55
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Sendmail white paper

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 12:51 +0000, Mark wrote:

If it had an SPF "fail" when I first received it, I will
not forward it either, of course.

So you throw away mail which is potentially valid, which
may have been forwarded by a forwarder which doesn't do SRS.

When you put it like that, it sounds like it is "my"
decision; but it is really that of the domain owner.

It *IS* your decision. Your system, your rules. You choose your
Receiver Policies. The domain owner chooses their Sender Policies.

I 'choose' to honor the sender policies. I consider that no more my
'choice' then when I accept the validity of a response from, say, an
authoritive nameserver.

Since pretty much every SMTP reply code is a 'decision', I suppose
everything is local decision, seen that way. But I guess it is getting
down to semantics, this way. Suppose I call the bank, to have them cancel
a check, is them doing so then 'my' decision or 'theirs'?

Forwarding relationships are set up by the receiver, not the sender.
You, as a receiver, have far better methods for learning about
forwarding relationships. The sender has almost no way of knowing
when, if ever, they will send email to an address that gets forwarded.

And precisely because the sender has almost no way of knowing when, if
ever, they will send email to an address that gets forwarded, I, as
forwarding party, do SRS. :)

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---