RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-22 05:00:22
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 16:40 +0000, Mark wrote:
Regardless of whether they be right, though, I do not want some major ISP
going over its logs one day, and say, "Hmm, we seem to be getting a lot of
spoofs from Asarian-host (read: SPF "fail"); let's block this guy." I, for
one,
make sure that *everything* which comes from my relay will SPF "pass". SRS
ensures that.

That's actually more likely to happen the other way round, I'd expect.
If they're getting mail they don't _want_ from you and you aren't
performing SRS, then they _may_ be silly enough just to block the SPF
failures.

Alternatively, if you've vouched for everything you pass through by
giving it an SPF 'pass' in your own domain, when it may not have had an
SPF pass in the first place, perhaps _then_ they'll block your domain.

By doing SRS you are vouching for mail which you're forwarding. Do you
really want to do that?

--
dwmw2