RE: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-23 03:29:55
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:40 +0000, Mark wrote:
When you put it like that, it sounds like it is "my" decision; but it is
really that of the domain owner. I take it an admin who adds "-all" SPF
records is sufficiently confident about the manner in which mail for his
domain is going to be relayed.

You directly contradict what Scott Kitterman says. He says it's OK to
publish '-all' because sites whose users may forward mail to its final
destination there (i.e. most ISPs) should know not to check SPF. But you
say that you should check SPF because sites whose users may _send_ mail
to users who forward mail should know not to publish SPF.

In practice it's impossible for most large sites to know either whether
they'll send mail to a forwarding address, or whether they'll receive
mail which is forwarded. Thus, one should neither publish nor obey
'-all' records, yet each of you seems to be blaming the other end for
the problem.

--
dwmw2