Re: Objections TO VOTE FOR THE SPF COUNCIL

2004-11-30 03:25:10
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, jpinkerton wrote:

The council will be formed by these people:-

 Meng_Weng_Wong
 Wayne_Schlitt
 Chuck_Mead
 Mark_asarian-host.net
 Julian_Mehnle
Contratulations to the winners!

I do have some problem with results, in particular with IP addresses
records on the page, i'd like to know where they came from, as I'm
somewhat surprised in seeing the following:

Brad Glore from IP 192.168.0.50, 127.0.0.1 at 14:40 GMT on 24 November 2004
Kirk Becker from IP 192.168.21.40 at 16:10 GMT on 24 November 2004
A Heczko from IP 192.168.0.6 at 13:18 GMT on 26 November 2004
Rene Barbier from IP 172.31.0.103 at 06:33 GMT on 29 November 2004
Lists Dw from IP unknown at 14:26 GMT on 24 November 2004
Marc Kool from IP unknown at 21:32 GMT on 22 November 2004
Klaus Steinberger from IP unknown at 14:58 GMT on 24 November 2004
Ralf Doeblitz from IP unknown, unknown at 20:35 GMT on 24 November 2004
Stuart D. Gathman from IP 127.0.0.1 at 15:08 GMT on 29 November 2004

--

The question that *must* be asked before time is spent on exploring possible
voting anomalies, is:-

If all the anomalies which are referred to are taken out of the vote, is the
result different?

You better tell us, it should be easier for you to calculate it.

If the answer is yes - then we can explore the objection, if not it would be
a waste of time.
Please answer that question before pursuing the objection.

I did not say it was an objection. But I do think what happened is that
you recorded an ip address as provided by the javascript function instead
of the one coming from $REMOTE_ADDR cgi parameter. Javascript will of
course provide local ip address on the machine - and it may well be not
the one that is a public ip address from the connection, so it SHOULD NOT
be used for recording ip address information about users (or if it is,
then actual ip address from $REMOTE_ADDR should be recorded as well).
Since you probably have all the data about real ip address connections in
the logs it would be good if you write a script and replace the ip address
you have with real ones (or add real ones as additional comment).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks