Re: The Role of the SPF council

2004-12-08 22:47:27
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0412061001100(_dot_)23330-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
"william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

I would also remind that SPF Council (as it was called for based on
the results of my poll) should not really be making up policy on its
own,  rather it should be acting is similar way to chairs in IETF WG and
ratifying positions that have consensus of the community ...

I have recently been studying the difference between Management and Leadership. So it is interesting and serendipitous that this should come up now.

An oversimplified but perhaps useful distinction might be: Management asks, "Are we doing things right?" while Leadership asks, "Are we doing the right things?" In other words, a Manager arranges resources and tasks and resolves conflicts, while a Leader sets a high-level vision and direction.

The IETF WG chair process is a very management-focused approach. There is a finely tuned machine under the hood, humming away, waiting to charge ahead. If all occupants of the car want to go the same place and they all know the way, the machine will get you there quickly. But if there is disagreement in the car, about which road to take or even where we are going, then the car cannot help resolve it, and it will probably backtrack quite a bit as various occupants take their turn at the wheel. Management doesn't actually decide if you're going the right direction. It assumes you know where you want to go and all you have to do is turn the wheel the right way, put your foot down, and Management will take you... where ever.

A Leader will have some kind of vision of where we want to end up. They use creative vision to imagine the ultimate goal with as much clarity as they can. They share the creative vision with people and it then grows stronger and more refined. They inspire people to want to share in that vision. They double-check themselves to see if their vision is grounded in principles, or if the are placing value in something that is not a principle at all. Eventually the shared vision becomes strong enough and shared enough that others can Lead at different levels and in different capacities and still be headed the same direction.

I am not saying that the council needs to act as Leaders. The council should set its own agenda.

If the council limits itself to Management, it will probably do its job amazingly well, and the actual leadership will end up coming from somewhere else. A blurry kaleidescope of everyone else's visions perhaps. A democracy can actually work, and where there is strong enough consensus, things will get done. This approach would be similar to what William and Wayne described just now. Gathering consensus can be a useful tool, but it's not a Leadership tool.

I certainly trust this council a lot further than I would trust a couple of "chairs". I think that if the council members have a creative vision, they should feel free to share it, and use that as their main compass when making decisions, or at the very least, share it around. I think the trust level is there.

Personally, my feeling is that I want a council of people with strong vision and strong convictions, that can say "WE THINK X" or "WE BELIEVE Y". Therefore I disagree with William's assertion that the council should not be making up policy on its own. Whatever the council does, they will not be acting on their own -- they will be acting with the support of most of the community. Most of the community doesn't actually have visions of their own, but they will readily follow the visions of others who insipre them, and if given the chance, will start to share in that vision.

In other words, I would much prefer the council to make good use of the trust I (and others) have placed in them, and should not limit itself to acting on the creative vision, inspiration, and strength of conviction of others. If the council decides not to assert its own will, a host of others will likely assert their own willpower and either direct the process, or scuttle it.