Re: The Role of the SPF council

2004-12-10 08:30:55
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0412091531110(_dot_)17864-100000(_at_)neko-base(_dot_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
 Greg Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> writes:

The "bylaws" or other documented control structure is a valid way of bringing
order to an organization.  This is important in a formal setting such as a
company, government organization, anything that handles money, or the like.
It's probably overkill for other types of organizations (such as interest
groups or families).

One theory of organization is that the "formal" systems and practices are
necessary when trust is not sufficient to hold the organization together.  I
would much rather have a strong mission statement than strong bylaws any day.

Wearing my council member hat:

I very much agree with this and I have been proceeding as a council
member along this basis.

It is along these lines that I feel the council shoud act more, but
not exclusively, in a management mode than a leadership mode.  If the
SPF council ever strays too far from the rough consensus of the
community, it will lose the trust that it has.  Members of the SPF
community, including council members, should give their visions of
where we should go (leadership) here on spf-discuss.  The council
should decide which direction makes the most sense.

-wayne