Re: SPF HELO checking

2004-12-13 12:27:35
David wrote:

BTW, everytime i think more about it and re-read specs and
rfc's, i more convinced that helo checks are very poorly
proposed, always with MAY and not always clearly specified

The RfCs are an almost hopeless case, you'd have to accept
anything with an IP.  With the famous exception of host TV,
2821 insists on at least one dot (I asked the author, that's
a feature and no bug).

Another important observation here (credits to Roger), SPF is
about _sender_ policies, not receiver policies.  If you don't
like say HELO oemcomputer reject it, you don't need SPF, CSV,
or an RfC for this decision.

If you see HELO hotmail.com it's difficult, they use ~all, so
it would be again your decision to insist on PASS for an SPF
HELO check.  I've proposed an op=helo option for this purpose.

                           Bye, Frank