Re: Condorcet Voting for Council Elections and Council Votes

2004-12-13 11:59:44
Monday, December 13, 2004, 3:50:27 PM, Mark wrote:

MS> An example:

MS> Imagine the five-person council deciding for one option among five
MS> different options for something:  Options A, B, C, D, and E.

MS> Further imagine that each member most favored a separate one of the five
MS> options--so each option would get one vote.

MS> With first-past-the-post, you'd not get clear winner.

Quite, this is a misleading example:  eg 5:5 where it is hard to expect
a clear winner.

The /vote for council members/ is completely different, we have a couple
of hundred choosing 5 from about 12 where a fifth position tie is
unlikely. - In effect we are only eliminating those with lower votes,
we are not choosing a winner!   The fact that person A gets twice the
votes of person B is irrelevant provided that both get more than
person F in sixth position.

Shane