Re: Condorcet Voting for Council Elections and Council Votes

2004-12-13 17:45:09
Monday, December 13, 2004, 7:58:43 PM, Julian wrote:

JM> What are we (the council) supposed to do?  Some of the community elected
JM> us to set up ground rules like how future elections should be carried out,
JM> and some of the community elected us to work on finalizing the SPFv1 draft
JM> ASAP and more.

You may have seen that I posted before the elections that my position was
that I was delegating to the council to act on my behalf much as I do my
gov representitive.  This means that as a list member I don't get consulted
on everything and council members are free to act as they feel appropriate
bearing in mind the consensus for various topics.   Therefore I offer
no opinion on how council members choose to operate there own voting.

I'm just surprised that Council Voting and Voting of Council Members
are being considered together.   Clearly Condorcet may be a tool of use
to help the council in coming to a conclusion, but the same style of tool
for elections seems odd where we need multiple conclusions.

JM> I do have commended John for his great work, maybe you overlooked that
JM> message of mine.  Still, there's no harm in improving the voting rules
JM> _before_ we get into an unfortunate situation due to the flaws of the
JM> current rules.

Bearing in mind the council's willingness to seek direction in
spf.discuss, I would expect a thread and examination of 'flaws of the
current rules'   I don't question in any way the council's right or
advisability to get the election issue sorted well before the next five
months have expired.

JM> We haven't even noticed the effects that the flaws of the apportioned
JM> approval voting system have had on our first council election.  For
JM> instance, depending on whether voters felt the need to vote strategically,
JM> I might not even have made it into the council under Condorcet voting. ;-)

We will have to agree to disagree, I've used ranked voting before so I
now have a healthy distrust of how it can be used strategically by
small lobby groups to force forward minority candidates.
I have no experience of ranking to aid decision making so I offer no
opinion.

JM> The reason is that ranked voting in general, and the Condorcet method in
JM> particular, is even better.

Cool why?  It looks from here that ranking is regarded as a universal
answer for multiple problems, I prefer to use the right tool for a
job.

Shane