Re: SPF HELO checking

2004-12-13 17:58:05
--"Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

RFC2821 allows rejection for various reasons.  The only thing it
specifically forbids is you MUST NOT reject purely on the fact that
ptr(connecting ip address) != HELO.

Of course.  But what about rejecting when
a(HELO name) != connecting ip address ?

Technically it's possible for the host to be coming to you via an IP that it doesn't even know as belonging to it (like a mail server behind a NAT that has an internal IP and shares the firewall IP for outside access).

If they *really* want to do that, they could get around it by programming the mail server to HELO with the outside IP.

Personally, I see no reason to accept mail from a mail server that uses HELO [ip]... I think the reasons for that were mostly historical and are pretty much gone today. But that's a local policy decision and not an rfc reason.

gregc