RE: Condorcet Voting for Council Elections and Council Votes

2004-12-13 13:55:14
Shane Rush [shane(_at_)red(_dot_)nymcity(_dot_)com] wrote:
Mark Shewmaker wrote:
An example:

Imagine the five-person council deciding for one option among five
different options for something:  Options A, B, C, D, and E.

Further imagine that each member most favored a separate one of the
five options--so each option would get one vote.

With first-past-the-post, you'd not get clear winner.

Quite, this is a misleading example:  eg 5:5 where it is hard to expect
a clear winner.

This is not a very unrealistic example, though.  We will very likely
encounter situations where we have to vote on three or more similar
alternatives.  Some of those issues might even be put before the community
to vote on.

The /vote for council members/ is completely different, we have a couple
of hundred choosing 5 from about 12 where a fifth position tie is
unlikely.

I am astonished as to how you can say this given that the vote counts for
positions 3-6 (Chuck Mead to Greg Connor) were so close, positions 3 and 4
even on par:

| 116 for Meng Weng Wong
|  80 for Wayne Schlitt
|  60 for Chuck Mead