RE: Open council and project issues

2004-12-18 22:27:40
Julian Mehnle wrote:
william(at)elan.net wrote:
Julian Mehnle wrote:
william(at)elan.net wrote:
For voting, I think either Approval or Condorcet will work fine
[...] What I'm however concerned is possibility of large
organization (commercial or otherwise) asking its members/employers
to join SPF in order to advance certain candidate(s) - with large
enough base of additional people not even Condorcet will stop them
from gaining the majority.

Well, whenever groups of people are engaged in democratic elections,
there's always the risk of being "taken over".  I think a good
solution to that would be to require voters to register themselves a
month or two in advance of the election.

Same thing - those who want to take over will register month or two
prior to elections :)

You overlooked half of my statement.  You won't be able to prevent that.
You can just make it harder.  And as long as we don't require voters to
become formal members of the project and pay a significant yearly
membership fee, outside folks will always be able to take over the
democratic bodies of the project with relative ease.  I think that's a
feature at least as much as it is a bug.

I suggested a "good" solution, not a "perfect" solution, because there is
no "perfect" solution.

Please!  Can we drop this whole theory of elections thread?  Let's
get on with the problems we actually have: getting SPF formalized,
publicized, and implemented.  Otherwise, we run the risk of forgetting
that the original objective was to drain the swamp.        -- George