Re: Sender-ID in Gmail advertising

2004-12-23 07:03:58

----- Original Message -----
From: "jpinkerton" <johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Sender-ID in Gmail advertising

----- Original Message -----
From: "jpinkerton" <johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 2:53 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene Barbier" <Rene(_dot_)Barbier(_at_)irislink(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 2:38 PM

jpinkerton wrote:
Now being advertised on Gmail :-(

Use Sender ID to End Spam
Maintenance Free Network Appliance Stop 100% of spam email
www.sendio.com

Their web site mentions a Challenge/Response mechanism combined (how?)
with SPF, but not Sender ID

Dunno -
it also mentions
"
a.. Eliminates 100% of machine generated Spam
a.. Patented Sender Authentication technology
a.. Processes five millions messages per day
a.. High-availability Cluster of 2 Pentium....................
"

Patented????

It's a bit strange to see spf being sold as hardware ;-)

Quote--

" How Sendio ICE Box Eliminates SPAM
Sendio ICE Box holds email from all unverified senders until the sender is
authenticated. Senders are sent a one-time authentication request, to
verify
their identity. Upon verification, Sendio ICE Box releases the email to
your
corporate mail server and the message is delivered.

Fact: Spammers operate behind a veil of anonymity created by the gap in
the
SMTP protocol. Spammers can not compromise this veil of protection by
responding to an ICE Box authentication request. "

--endQuote

"unverified senders" appears to be a reference to failures from a
sender-ID
check, and then a c/r method is used.  It's like the new IBM system.

I suppose I'll link it in the website just for the sake of
completeness........

Sorry - forgot the url of the quote - -
http://www.sendio.com/tools/free_form_content/view.html?phase=show&id=107206
4753&tool_id=38&cat_id=2.4