Re: Is anyone else getting DoS'd by relay attacks?

2005-01-17 07:58:38
At 09:28 AM 1/9/2005 -0500, Chris Drake <christopher(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if it's a hacker targeting me, or a virus hitting
everyone - someone's using "broken" MTAs to "bounce" millions of
emails at all my servers for the last month or so.

I finally had enough of this backscatter (bounces) and decided to change
the host name of our mail server to something less common. It was not an
easy task, as we had to get all our customers to change their client email
settings. But it was well worth the effort, as overnight the bounces have
dropped to zero.

in part, as a host name for a mail server. It's too easy to guess if you
are trying to hide your real email server and route all incoming traffic
through filters.

J.A. Coutts