Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-22 04:14:49
On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:50:43AM -0700, David MacQuigg wrote:

Unless the IP gets an SPF PASS, the only way to do that is to issue an
SMTP
REJECT.

If the IP address is recorded in a header, then a bounce could be sent
even
*after* the SMTP session is closed.  Seems to me that an ability to
relay a
delayed bounce may be an unavoidable requirement if forwarders are
going to
participate in an IP-authenticated transfer.

Why should a sending host also be a receiving host ?

Good point.  The bounce should actually go to "postmaster@<sender's
domain>"  where the sender's domain has been authenticated.  Note: The
sender might actually be another forwarder, because we can't trust any
headers prior to that point, even if they say Authenticated.

Then why make it this difficult?

What do you think about this: http://www.spf.idimo.com/fix-2.php

alex