Persistent URL (was: the state of the web site updates and some discussion)

2005-02-28 15:54:42
Koen Martens wrote:

it is in the url of every implementations default
explanation string

For a proper solution I propose a "persistent URL" (PURL) -
my <URL:http://purl.net/xyzzy/> is an example how this works,
essentially a HTTP redirection based on the LHS of the PURL.

I grabbed the free <http://purl.net/net/spf> and redirected
it to <http://spf.pobox.com/why.html>.  At the moment that
works only for an exact match, not for any .../spf/whatever

What's the format of existing default explanations ?  I could
create a corresponding LHS PURL (they call this a "partial
redirect").  Then implementors could start to use the PURLs
instead of pobox URLs.

PURLs are meant to be valid "forever".  So if pobox goes
down somebody has to change the PURL.  We need a "maintainer"
of the PURL for this case, it's not good enough that I could
do it, because maybe I'm unavailable or dead at this moment.

Has anybody here a PURL account that I can add as maintainer
of <http://purl.net/net/spf> ?
                                Bye, Frank

JFTR, purl.net is the same as purl.org, purl.com, or versions
starting with www. plus some others.