RE: AOL checking Sender-ID?

2005-03-01 06:56:34
Chuck Mead wrote:
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
My users have been getting a raft of mail rejected by AOL, with the
reject referencing the following URL:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyfa.html

The From address *is* properly formatted.  However, the rejected
messages are forwards of jokes and such where the From would not pass
a sender-ID check that (stupidly and incorrectly) uses their SPFv1
record.  They also reject email that has no From at all.  I'll do
some more experiments.

Thanx for this Stuart. Right on time too. I have been looking for info
on the potential consequences of misuse of spfv1 records for Sender-ID.

Well, until Stuart (or somebody else) provides us with more information,
this can hardly be considered empirical.

Stuart, can you give us some representative examples of the messages that
were falsely rejected (for a naive interpretation of "false")?