RE: MS press release hypes SenderID

2005-03-04 15:14:46
Much, and for that matter the same is true for Microsoft and practically
every large company. The only companies to make money out of patents are a
small number of big ones like TI and IBM with vast research labs, a handful
of companies that have a genuine controlling patent and a tiny number of
patent trolls.

I do not object to software patents in principle but I think that if
appropriate criteria were applied to their issue there would be no more than
five issued in any one year.

As it is I am forced to apply for patents to stop trolls suing me over
patents that plagarize my own work.

Microsoft just won an appeal against the half billion judgement over the
Eolas patent, one that covers ideas that several of us invented long before
the patent was filed. The first court refused to allow Microsoft to even
bring up the prior art in their defense.

The totally iniquitious aspect of US patent law is that a troll is allowed
to claim that they had the idea being patented up to a year before the date
of filing. So this is simply a license to perjury.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
william(at)elan.net
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 5:03 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] MS press release hypes SenderID

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I am spending an increasing amount of my time answering
subpoenas in
patent cases. Basically people plagarize my work then I get
dragged in
to recite the plentiful prior art that should put paid to
their grubby
schemes to extort money from others on the basis of their plagarism.

Wouldn't your life have been better if there were no software
patents? :)

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,
please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf->
discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com