RE: MS press release hypes SenderID

2005-03-04 05:36:17
At 11:30 PM 3/3/2005 +0100, you wrote:

David MacQuigg wrote:
> At 03:33 PM 3/3/2005 -0600, you wrote:
> > Kevin Murphy of ComputerWire pointed me to the following press
> > release from MS about SenderID:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/mar05/03-02SIDFPR.asp
>
> If SenderID becomes the most widely-deployed IP-authentication method,
> what are the implications for SPF?

I don't see this happening.  Just Microsoft saying "SIDF adoption momentum
is quickly growing" doesn't make it so.

True, but this statement is only one small part of their plan, which includes a major effort on branding and public relations. As I read this release and some of the sub-pages, putting aside what I know of the technology and looking at it they way the public probably will, it looks to me like SenderID is Microsoft's invention, with the underlying technology being SIDF. When I search the site for any mention of SPF, I find 96 entries, mostly old press releases, and details of how to set up your "SPF records", which appear to be a minor part of the "SIDF framework".

There is no actual lying, as far as I know, but lying really isn't necessary to "win" this competition and become the "savior" of email. In fact, the best PR will appear as being generous to the competition, while still taking all the credit. Following the links from the above page to Bill Gate's press release, the first line from Bill is: "I'd like to update you on the progress that Microsoft and our industry are making to curb the epidemic of junk email."

If I were in charge of the Evil Plans Department at Microsoft, I would hold back on shutting down the zombies for another month or two, and time it so it looks like the reduction in spam is due to SenderID. Then I would put out a version of SmartScreen free for all users, and make sure it works with v=spf1, spf2, whatever. This could be a major victory for Microsoft in overcoming the bad image they have on security problems.

Please don't take this as any kind of pro-Microsoft statement. I'm just trying to be realistic.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *