RE: RE: MS press release hypes SenderID

2005-03-04 12:18:35
At 01:43 PM 3/4/2005 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
MacQuigg
>Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 1:42 PM
>To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
>Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] RE: MS press release hypes SenderID
>

>At 07:18 PM 3/4/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>http://www.debian.org/News/2004/20040904
>
>This is certainly a strong statement against SenderID, but it should not
>make anyone think SenderID cannot possibly win.  All Microsoft has to do,
>at a time of their choosing, is release SenderID under GPL.
>Again, I don't
>think they are holding onto their patent for any direct monetary
>gain.  There is no value that I can see to the "intellectual property",
>certainly not anything comparable to the PR value of becoming the "savior
>of email".
>
>-- Dave

During the MARID process they were given plenty of chances to do exactly
that.  They declined.  What makes you think anything's changed?

What has changed is that they are a lot further along in their own product development. At some point it will be advantageous to include Debian, Redhat, and others among their distributors of SenderID products. Even if every Linux distributor refuses to include them, GPL or not, they can distribute directly to every ISP needing a plugin module so they can authenticate all those emails coming with strange headers from Exchange servers.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *