RE: IESG evaluation of SPF

2005-04-06 22:23:23

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Mark wrote:

I would like to add, though, that I might be persuaded to have the
sentence say:

   "Checking other identities against SPF records is undocumented."

"undocumented", AFAICT, has a subtle connotation, within the technical
world, which rings close to: "You could probably do it, but the procedure
is not recommended; so, go ahead, but at your own risk."

In technical world it might mean that but in IETF documents it does not because IETF has list of specific worlds that are used when you want to
say that something IS NOT RECOMMENDED.  So I would say that council should
be firm in supporting position expressed on this list which was strongly
against using SPF1 records to check other identities.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net