RE: spf

2005-04-14 06:35:10
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Andrew
Gutkowski
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:23 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] spf

How does SPF work with ISPs who require users to send all SMTP mail
through the ISPs servers, even users whose accounts are with other email
providers?   For example,  we are a college in PA.  One of the local
ISPs requires our off-campus students who are on their network using our
email or any email account to send email through the ISPs smtp servers.
If this would go to an smtp server which was doing SPF lookups, they
would lookup our SPF records in DNS and we do not have this external
SMTP server listed.  We can't possibly list all ISPs which our students
might use to send email.  Should we contact the ISP and request that
they no longer restrict smtp leaving their network?  It becomes an even
bigger problem because other ISPs around the world do the same thing and
we have no idea if our students are using any of these ISPs to send
mail.

If someone could please clear up the confusion or explain to me what to
do in this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew Gutkowski

When you say that the ISPs require users to send mail through their SMTP
server, what exactly do you mean?  Do you mean that they're blocking Port
25?  If so, the usual recommendation is to use SMTP AUTH on your SMTP server
and use the submission port (587?) and then you needn't worry about the
ISP's mail server.

Scott Kitterman