Re: spf

2005-04-14 07:15:43

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:03:59AM -0400, Terry Fielder wrote:

Andrew Gutkowski wrote:

How does SPF work with ISPs who require users to send all SMTP mail
through the ISPs servers, even users whose accounts are with other email
providers?

That is an irresponsible request. If they want all University related email to go through the University email servers, so be it. If they want all the person's email to go through the Universities email, then they are violating their people's privacy rights. And freedom of speech. And common sense.

I read the original email differently.  As far as I understood it,
the users are on the ISP-network and have to use the ISP-mailserver,
_not_ the university mailserver.

I interpreted that later on.

The university doesn't want to, nor is capable of, including all
ISPs in its SPF record.
Agreed.

This means email from users at the ISP, using university email addresses,
fails the SPF test.
And so it should.  The users should be using SMTP AUTH or equivalent.

Terry

Alex

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf