Re: This is ridiculous.

2005-06-12 10:06:40

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

At 08:54 AM 6/12/2005 +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Sure.  I only wanted it on record that any "IESG conspiracy" is
so far bad science fiction.  They even managed to publish the
DEA list <http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/dea-directorate.html>

Interesting. So what is the role of the seven people in this "dea-directorate"? I assume the IESG doesn't go through all the proposals themselves. Are these the "referees" who actually read and understand the proposals, and separate the signal from the noise?

Actually they do go though all proposals themselves, at least they are
required to (as to whether that happens or not for every draft, I
don't know).

That is certainly better than what I earlier understood is going on. It is good that they interact with the advocates, and state their concerns.

I have specifically asked if I should "interact" with DEA or with IESG
regarding my concerns and the answer was that that IESG is who I should
contact. As I understood it IESG if necessary will ask DEA regarding some
issues but not the other way around.

It is not good that some may have biases going in.

Except for presence of MarkL that list was not surprising to me and
I don't think people there are overly biased.

It would be nice if they state their recommendations publicly, before the IESG votes, and avoid private communications with the IESG.

Make suggestion to IESG, would be fun to hear their response ...

I guess that will be impossible to avoid with at least one IESG member - the Area Director who set up this group.

I don't see any AD on the DEA. Directorates are supposed to be independent
of IESG, I've seen AD on the directorate but its extremely rare.

If done right, this could provide a way around the "consensus" rule that allows uncompromising minorities to block any proposal.

Directorates are most certainly not way around consensus.
In fact for for experimental drafts, what applies is only 2/3 support among IESG. For standard track, consensus among IETF participants must be thought and this is done by consulting and discussing concerns of multiple
relevant groups like Wayne did and with general last call. Directorates
have nothing to do with anything like that.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks