Re: Border Appliances

2005-06-29 11:38:03
At 10:27 PM 6/28/2005 -0700, Greg Connor wrote:

> This raises a serious question - If many domains use these "appliance
> boxes" as their border MTAs, how can we expect *any* IP authentication
> method to work?  Are we expecting these appliances to be replaced by
> general-purpose MTAs?  I assume there is no chance of modifying their
> proprietary software.

Probably true that it's difficult or impossible to add after-market, but if enough of their customers ask for it...

In the early days of SPF, we can probably have a noticeable impact even without getting 100% adoption in the field... I think we can have a meaningful impact even at 10%. All it takes is some of the big name receivers -- maybe just a handful -- to start checking SPF and I'm betting that spammers will start to avoid SPF-protected domains. May not reduce overall spam at first, but if domain owners see a decrease in forgery activity, that's something, at least.

Let's be careful not to over-sell SPF as anything more than a piece of the solution. Without a domain-rating system coupled in, the best you can do is PASS a few well-known domains that authenticate, and maybe FAIL an even smaller number where the record says -all. The vast majority will be "unknown" domains, and whether they authenticate or not, might even correlate the wrong way with probability of spam. i.e. spammers may be *more* likely to authenticate their dime-a-dozen names if nobody is checking reputation.

--
Dave