Re: Report on the Email Authentication Summit

2005-07-21 11:50:08
wayne wrote:

Another area of concern that I have is that it appears that MS may
well be succeeding in convincing the world that "SenderID is an
updated replacement for SPF" and that people only need to think in
terms of SenderID.  I do google news searches ever day for SPF and
SenderID.  It used to be that almost all news stories that referenced
SenderID also referenced SPF, but in the last few weeks that has
changed and now most at least half of the stores only mention
SenderID, and few stories mention SPF without also mentioning
SenderID.
Thanks Wayne!

As for this last statement, I expected it and more... here's my 'repeating' theme, that I just can't resist about once every few months or more often.

Basically, Microsoft has all the money they need and an installation base which allows them to 'promote' almost anything they want (can you say Netscape?). My greatest fear is that the 'world' will go with Sender-ID. That's why I keep bringing up the website. You can build the best thing in the world and hide it in the attic and no one ever uses it. Self promotion is simply a must... Seems that the website is the least expensive tool.. and that tool is in the attic with the product.

There was a concerted effort to bring us SPF... if only there could be a concerted effort to bring us a SPF website. I'm terribly afraid that we will wind up with Sender-ID... licenses... then suddenly once it is at saturation... some little change to the spec, and we all must run MS servers (unix FPSEs are coming up on EOL). Follow the money and use whatever we can to gain any advantage. What if...... a new version of Outlook had a Sender-ID specific spam filter? End users aren't going to care about the tech, they are only going to want the filter and tell sysadmins with 'their money' to install it.

Hours and hours have gone into the creation of SPF. It seems an irresponsible waste of time to not sell it, when maybe only 1% of the time spent is all that's needed for the website. I bet just one week of a concerted effort, stepping down to do 'lowly website work' would do the trick. Geez folks, you're obviously brilliant... so 'publish'!

Respectfully Submitted (as I have no right to make these statements),
John Hinton