Re: Updating SPF type99 and TXT RR's: Simultaneity is not guaranteed.

2005-08-10 01:06:32
In <42F99D2A(_dot_)1000602(_at_)de-korte(_dot_)org> Arjen de Korte
<spf+discuss(_at_)de-korte(_dot_)org> writes:

However, the current situation where permerror is required if you query
for both records at the same time seems problematic.

Then don't query for both at the same time. I fail to understand why
receivers would want do that anyway. If you have either one of these,
there is no need for the other one, other than for compliance testing. I
refuse to burn CPU cycles and bandwidth to do that. We can't
realistically ask that receivers do that in a production environment.

Being able to query both record types in parallel was strongly asked
for by the Spamassassin folks.  From most MTAs, latency is much more
of an issue than bandwidth or CPU cycles.  Querying one RR type,
waiting to see if you get a response, and then querying the other type
is a waste of time.

-wayne