Re: Migration to SPF type99

2005-08-12 09:33:12
Stuart,

I like the 'spf=domain' modifier, as it is pretty much what I had in mind, but I'm not sure there would be way to specify a NOT version of that modifier (in other words explicitly requesting the requester not do a check for the new SPF RR).

I suppose that the NOT version would really only amount to being a nicety in the specification, where a site has a DNS that does not support the RR and is trying to avoid generating DNS log errors on their side for and SPF RR requests by setting their SPF TXT record in this way. I'm just looking at ways to limit possible objections people might hurtle regarding the new RR as it starts to roll out. I want to avoid seeing more of the "SPF breaks this or causes problems with that" class of messages from some people as a function of moving to the SPF RR.

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster(_at_)Commerco(_dot_)Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/

At 09:50 AM 8/12/2005, you wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Commerco WebMaster wrote:

> Somewhere down the road, publishers might also want to use this
> ability to reduce the amount of traffic from redundant data being
> sent by both a TXT RR and SPF RR request.  Eventually, just
> publishing a TXT "v=spf1 +spf" could be interpreted as, "why yes, we
> do publish SPF data, but your answer is found at our SPF RR, so use that".

A good idea.  But let me polish it a little.  You want to use a
modifier so as to be backward compatible.  I would suggest a
'spf=domain' modifier that works exactly like 'redirect=domain', except
it only fetches a type99 SPF record.