Re: Re: ESMTPA vs. ESMTPS

2005-08-17 07:25:48
Dick St.Peters wrote:

Using current email is like using postcards.  MD5 and SHA-1 are both a
lot safer than a sealed paper envelope.  They might not quite match up
to using an armed courier carrying a locked satchel, but who cares?

I would say that since TLS pretty well covers the situation, it's more like being at the store to buy envelopes and seeing two boxes next to each other for essentially the same price.

One is extraordinarily difficult to tamper with. The other is a standard tamper prone envelopes. If one is at all worried about tampering, one will buy the tamper resistant once since there is virtually no marginal cost associated with the added protection.

TLS does have some marginal cost in bandwidth and CPU, but for most, I don't think it's significant.

Scott K