Re: Re: SPF implementations

2005-08-16 11:35:27
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

There are many services offering SMTP AUTH on arbitrary ports (standard
submission port is 587), which you can use from an ISP that blocks
port 25.  It is cheap too, dnsmadeeasy.com is $15/yr.  The catch is, that I
have yet to see one that actively prevents cross customer forgery.

Yes. The four different ISP's I've used haven't even offered AUTH in any form. Adding a mailserver halfway across the globe to the mix is not my idea of fun. I'm running my own server and crossing my fingers hoping spf will catch on before evereybody starts blocking mail from all dynamic IP-numbers. Network outages with no explanation is quite common for a lowly private subscriber. Calling to ask what is going on is the normal support-line-hell, but I've picked up enough jargon to find out fairly quickly if they are having a server error. So far all outages have been due to routers/servers ("common errors" in my ISPs lingo), never anything on the last mile to my home.

--
Håkon Alstadheim   +47 74 82 60 27
7510 Skatval