Re: Re: ESMTPA vs. ESMTPS

2005-08-17 02:26:58
"Frank Ellermann" commented:

AFAIK SHA-1 is not really better than MD5, it's only longer.

And SHA-256 is again longer.  I watch the "hash WG" hoping
for better ideas.  At the moment I often see discussions in
the rough direction of "let's take SHA-256 and truncate it".

I understand MD-5 has been shown to have serious flaws, cryptographically-speaking. I've seen a quote from its author, Ron Rivest (URL below) , advising people not to use it any more.

There has recently been published a paper suggesting that SHA-1 also, theoretically, has a similar collision susceptibility. The same article says that NIST have declared that they are generating a plan to phase out SHA-1 in favour of SHA-256 over the next few years because of this risk.

http://www.networkmagazine.com/shared/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=47903171

The 'truncation' ideas are to get the (hoped-for) collision-free properties of SHA-256 yet still fit in the same 20 bytes as SHA-1 - but I'm sure you know all this.

BTW, (& slightly OT), the performance of Sun's Java 1.5 implementation of digests on my 4 GHz Athlon with 256Kbyte message size is:

               Throughput
               Mbytes/sec
MD5         28,9
SHA-1      19,2
SHA-256  13,3
SHA-512    8,5

Anyone know how these rates relate to the arrival rate of mail messages on a large production server? I'm curious as to the impact of schemes like DK & SES which sometimes form / check digests of almost everything. Maybe off-list responses would be fair to SPF.

Chris Haynes