Re: possibilities for 2822 (was SPF implementations)

2005-08-17 13:26:26
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Scott Kitterman wrote:

I had been thinking along these lines too.  The problem is that any
proper mailing list will fail this test.

All the mailing lists I am subscribed to, including this one,
have Sender == MAIL FROM.  This meets the proposed requirement.

Most of the legit messages out of the remaining 20% are from mailing
lists.  I'm interested in input on other legit sources.  The question is
how to deal with this 20%.

Use Sender, as proposed.

So I'm thinking that we invent a new modifier called 'from='.  BTW, I
think someone else has suggested this before, so I make no claim of
originality here.  The idea is that you look for an SPF record in the
domain of the From:.  If there is no record or if it's a regular SPF
record, then you move on.  If the record has a 'From=' modifier in it,
then we know that the domain owner has made a statement that only
messages that have a Mail From: == From: are legit.  I would limit this
to the domain part since that's what SPF is designed to do.

An opt-in modifier is a good idea.  But from= doesn't cut it - it isn't
obvious that Sender could match also - and what should the argument be?