RE: The problems with SPF

2005-08-26 09:15:20
-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart D. Gathman [mailto:stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com]
Sent: 26 August 2005 17:06
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] The problems with SPF

About the most holy RFC 1123.  With that regime, any bozo
anywhere in the world
can start forwarding stuff to me without my asking them too.  And they
do.  It is a *feature* of SPF that those bozos get rejected.
If I really did ask them to forward stuff to me, I'll list them.

And how about the local business who has one PC, has his company domain name
with a local hosting company but has his e-mail forwarded to his dial-up ISP's
account. There are thousands upon thousands of these people.

His ISP then implements SPF checking, which is perfectly reasonable for them to
do... but whenever he is sent an e-mail from a company with a strict SPF
policy, and is then forwarded by his local hosting company he is going to have
problems isn't he?

Its all very well you saying "If I really did ask them to forward stuff, I'll
list them" when you technically know what you are doing, but the majority of
people using e-mail do not know anything about the technicalities... if it
doesn't work they don't care that there e-mail is not working now because of
the forwarding.

But.... again it comes back to the argument about forwarding. I know it isn't
SPF that is the problem, but the problem is there and is a major hindrance
*for* SPF

Dan

    Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax:
703 591-6154

To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate
your subscription,