RE: The problems with SPF

2005-08-26 08:36:08

Yes, forwarding is the problem and it is SPF that has
highlighted the problem... but it is a problem that is very deep
routed now, after years of people using the system the way they
want to.  Even though it may be technically wrong I can't see a
large majority of people changing.

Forwarding is NOT "technically wrong."  How to do it is described in
RFC 1123, which says that except for the envelope RCPT TO address, the
envelope is unchanged.

If you want it to *become* technically wrong, start an RFC process to
make it so.  Until you succeed in getting that RFC accepted, please
stop misrepresenting what is valid now.

Dick,

I'm not trying to start an argument about phrasing here.... in my opinion and
many others the way forwarding has been done for the last few years is *now*
technically wrong as it makes it extremely difficult to validate the sender
address.

My phrasing was not relating to Internet standards... I hadn't said it was
against a standard just technically wrong - not incorrect.

I myself use forwarding in this *wrong* way on servers I manage and have done
so for about 10 years, I know it has problems but do not have the resource
available to change.

If I had said it was incorrect and against the RFC's then I would accept your
response to my message...

My message was not to start bickering time and time again about the forwarding
issue or picking at peoples statements, I was trying to put down some facts
where SPF has problems,  I have some good response from others including Daniel
Taylor and David Woodhouse.

I can't see SPF getting anywhere the way people pick like this... SPF *does*
have problems, some of them in my opinion are big issues. That was the purpose
of my e-mail, to establish where the problems are and if there are any
solutions, I cannot see the purpose of your e-mail posted to this discussion?

Dan

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com