[spf-discuss] Re: promoting softfail to fail

2005-08-27 07:28:20
David wrote:

check if the envelope recipient is in the To: header field

Sneaky... ;-)  Add Cc:.

As i remeber softfail was mainly created to avoid problems
wiht forwarding but is there any other use for it ?

Debugging.  Testing.  Not yet sure that you have all IPs of
outgoing MTAs enumerated.  SOFTFAIL as dirty trick to bypass
erroneous tests behind the MX of the recipient can backfire:

If the next hop rejects FAIL the sender gets a good bounce
and can solve the problem,  If the next hop accepts SOFTFAIL
tagging it as "highly suspicious" the mail might end in some
obscure "please check me I'm spam" folder.  Bye, Frank