Re: [spf-discuss] Question on a unified policy record approach

2005-09-01 10:32:27
In
<20050901164743(_dot_)431C381E7(_at_)pacific(_dot_)spk(_dot_)agilent(_dot_)com>
Kurt Andersen <kurta(_at_)agilent(_dot_)com> writes:

As the postmaster of a fairly large company, I've been somewhat
frustrated by the balkanization of the different email auth
groups.

I can understand your frustrations.  Things are becoming somewhat
better, as DomainKeys and IIM have been merged into DKIM, and out of
the huge number of proposals that the IETF MARID working group tried
to address (FSV, RMX, CSV, DMP, MTAMark, SS, CallerID, and a few
others), only SPF-classic and SenderID have ever seen much adoption
and the others are rarely talked about anymore.

DKIM is still in the process of being developed.  Unless you want to
participate in, and keep up with, the development, I would suggest
waiting until things are finalized.  Right now, the estimate for that
is early 2006.

So, really, all you need to worry about right now is SPF (many major
ISPs and a huge number of smaller domain owners), and SenderID
(Hotmail/MSN).

Is there any current work underway toward a "unified" or extensible
policy mechanism that would allow current (and future) auth
mechanisms to coexist?  I gather that the spf3 project is somewhat
moribund from the lack of web activity since its proposal during
MARID.

I think the market place is taking care of this...

-wayne