RE: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF and gateways

2005-09-23 06:22:41
What process will you use for stepping through the received headers?

Doesn't this leave you open to forged headers?

Thanks.

Dan

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Simon Tyler [mailto:simont(_at_)gordano(_dot_)com]
  Sent: 23 September 2005 14:18
  To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
  Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF and gateways

  Actually I am rather hoping they do not know their trade as outsourced AV
is bad for business as we sell a competing (not outsourced) AV product :-)
Alas it is a fact of life that some people do outsource, so I need a
solution.

  So far I have only the MX record option which has the issue that the
customer needs an additional mail server - not really an option for most
people especially if they need to buy one.

  The Received headers option is still my favourite - I know it means the AV
gateway will have accepted the whole message and you lose the ability to
reject at the MAIL FROM stage but that is life - if the customer really
needs to reject at the MAIL FROM or wants rejects to be correctly handled
then they have the option of using either the MX record solution or moving
either the SPF check to the AV gateway or ditching the AV gateway altogether
and moving AV on their SPF mail server.

  Simon

  ---- Message from Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>
at
23-Sep-2005 13:52:39 ------

    Mark wrote:

    > I believe it to be good practice to just drop infected mail
    > altogether, as I hold the belief that a virus, or other
    > malware, should never be reintroduced. or caused to be
    > reintroduced, into the mail stream again.

    Yes.  But in the early days of ClamAV the results were not
    always correct, and if it's (ab)used to catch phishing there
    could be dropped FPs.  OTOH Simon's case is a professional
    AV-server - he can hope that they know their trade and get
    it right.
                            Bye, Frank