Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF and gateways

2005-09-23 06:18:01

Actually I am rather hoping they do not know their trade as outsourced AV is
bad for business as we sell a competing (not outsourced) AV product :-)  Alas
it is a fact of life that some people do outsource, so I need a solution.

So far I have only the MX record option which has the issue that the customer
needs an additional mail server - not really an option for most people
especially if they need to buy one.

The Received headers option is still my favourite - I know it means the AV
gateway will have accepted the whole message and you lose the ability to reject
at the MAIL FROM stage but that is life - if the customer really needs to
reject at the MAIL FROM or wants rejects to be correctly handled then they have
the option of using either the MX record solution or moving either the SPF
check to the AV gateway or ditching the AV gateway altogether and moving AV on
their SPF mail server.

Simon

---- Message from mailto:<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de Frank
Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> at 23-Sep-2005 13:52:39
------

Mark wrote:

I believe it to be good practice to just drop infected mail
altogether, as I hold the belief that a virus, or other
malware, should never be reintroduced. or caused to be
reintroduced, into the mail stream again.

Yes.  But in the early days of ClamAV the results were not
always correct, and if it's (ab)used to catch phishing there
could be dropped FPs.  OTOH Simon's case is a professional
AV-server - he can hope that they know their trade and get
it right.
                        Bye, Frank