Re: [spf-discuss] Can this really be true?

2005-09-23 09:01:17
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:18 +0200, johnp wrote:
(I suspect that MUA
was Outlook _Express_, not one of the versions with a number/year in
it's name, which is notoriously lacking in basic features).

Outlook Express does allow the configuration of SMTP logon by SASL on port
587 - that is
why I use it.

I stand corrected.  I think the original point (not mine) was that there
are still clients in use that don't support things like changing the
submission port to something other than 25 or using various
authentication methods and encryption.  In my opinion, these clients
need to be upgraded, they are too ancient and feature-lacking to be used
on today's Internet.  Not upgrading is only going to cause these users
problems in the long term.

...have a massive number of physical access points in homes and offices, all
of which
are authenticated to an open smtp relay by virtue of paying their monthly
fee. This is
ridiculous.

Considering this ISP seems to be not entirely unusual in USA, and the fact
that USA
generates well over 50% of the world's junk mail, you don;t have to be a
rocket scientist
to see the correlation  - - - and the obvious solution.

Yes, you and I are in agreement.  Additional levels of authentication in
order to authorize actions when they happen, rather than just because
they are connected to the network, help control the use of resources.
Allows use, while lessening abuse (or at least being able to accurately
track it).

--
Andy Bakun <spf(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>